Tuesday, October 25, 2011

passion or pride?

So, the debate of the week has been whether I want to stay a Bio/Phys major, or if I want to switch back to music! There are a lot of pros and cons to go with each, but this is what I'm thinking:

Bio/Phys:
-lots of really hard classes
-not having time to be an artist
-$$ payoff
-lots more years of schooling

Music:
-getting to learn more about what I love
-being the untalented underdog in my classes
-being able to sing again!
-probably not making a whole lot of money

When people ask me what I want to do with music, I say, "BE A ROCKSTAR!" Which is actually kinda true, I mean, childhood dreams considered. But what I've been thinking lately is:

Biology:
Stuck being a research scientist or biology teacher if I don't get into med school

Music:
Getting to give music lessons or teach music class if I don't become a rockstar (which to me sounds just about as feasible as actually getting into med school)

(I mean, honestly, who doesn't want to be a rockstar?)

I don't really think I want a real "career" in biology, I just don't want to give up studying biology because it's just so damn impressive. I think the hard thing about switching back to music will be proving myself. In biology you prove yourself by studying really hard and getting good grades. Understanding concepts. In music you prove yourself by having talent. Now that's scary! Music is something I've been involved with my whole life: I started choir at age 5, piano at 6, violin (fiddle) at 9, ukulele at 10, voice lessons at 11. After all that, it would be hard for someone to tell me that I just don't have enough talent to go anywhere as a performer! But the truth is, I'm devastated not to be involved in music anymore. I miss gospel and jazz choir, and to be honest, I really miss singing and the community that goes with it.

The hard part right now is making up my mind and emailing my advisors to help me do the dirty work! I might change my mind all the time, but at least I'm not afraid to explore different avenues. The way I've been looking at it lately is, sure - I might be a "senior", but I'm still freshman age. At 18, I should be changing my mind all the time! Who cares if today I want to be a rockstar!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I started out in Nutrition at SPU and then switched to Studio Art. :) You can do anything you want. If you did music, maybe you could have a partnership with your bro!

    And I miss hearing you sing, for the record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually was just talking to Scott about taking me as an intern next year. (He laughed, but I'm serious!) I could literally graduate next december if I wanted to--just take the Psych major and Music minor that I'm almost already done with. It's so tempting, I'm just not sure if I'd be that well equipped with only that little music study under my belt.

    ReplyDelete